Balloons were launched in memory of 10-year-old Dominic Rodgers as part of a nationwide campaign to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“We are committed to raising awareness to prevent more tragic and unnecessary deaths. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided by taking simple steps.”
Emma Fitzgerald, National Grid Director of Gas Distribution
National Grid joined forces with the Dominic Rodgers Trust to commemorate Dominic’s Day, launching 321 balloons at the Gas Distribution leadership conference in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Dominic, who would have been 21 in April, died when deadly carbon monoxide seeped into his Huddersfield home from a neighbour’s faulty boiler. His mother Stacey, who formed the trust, has campaigned tirelessly for greater awareness of the risks and the 50 easily preventable deaths a year from carbon monoxide poisoning.
“If the Dominic’s Day campaign makes people aware of the dangers of this silent killer and helps to save just one life, it will have been worth it,” she said.
National Grid’s Director of Gas Distribution Emma Fitzgerald said: “Dominic’s story touches us all and we are committed to raising awareness to prevent more tragic and unnecessary deaths. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided by taking simple steps.
“If you have any fossil-fuel burning appliances, such as gas, wood, coal or oil, make sure they are installed, fitted and serviced annually by a competent, registered tradesperson – in the case of gas appliances this should be a Gas Safe registered engineer. As a back-up, fit an audible carbon monoxide detector. Dominic died because of a neighbour’s faulty boiler, so talk to your neighbours about carbon monoxide awareness too.”
Find more information about the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it here.