Posted: 17 December 2014
No Comments

Yule be safe

Christmas is the time of year when you spend a lot more time at home. You’re thinking about presents, good times and perhaps a glass of mulled wine or two, but we also want to help you to be safe at Christmas.

Share Share on Facebook65Share on LinkedIn0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Email this to someone
Article:

Yule be safe

Yule be safe

Fitting an audible carbon monoxide detector could save your life.

The symptoms of CO poisoning include: headaches, nausea, tiredness, chest and/or stomach pains.

Insight:

Every year around 4,000 people are diagnosed with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and it leads to around 50 deaths.

Source: National Grid.

Whether it’s Christmas Day, New Year’s Day or any other day of the year, the safety of our employees and the general public is our number one priority.

Be aware of carbon monoxide

Every year around 4,000 people are diagnosed with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and it leads to around 50 deaths. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas, it could be pouring into your home without you knowing and poisoning you while you sleep. Make sure your home is protected with an audible CO alarm. These cost as little as £20 and this video will show you what to do.

What to do if you smell gas

We want to raise awareness of the dangers of gas in the home, too.

If you smell gas in your home or on National Grid property call 0800 111 999. Please have the following information to hand:

1) The address/location of where you smell the gas

2) Your name, address (if different) and contact phone number.

3) Are there any access problems getting to the address/location?

When one of our engineers comes out to assist, please let them know:

4) Where the gas meter is located

5) If the gas has been turned off at the meter and, if so, whether you can still smell gas.

During your call, our advisors will provide you with the advice you need to stay safe.

Remember, if you smell gas, call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 and report the information.

Read more:

Carbon monoxide poisoning – 5 things you need to know and do.

Nine reasons to catch National Grid at Utility Week Live