Posted: 26 November 2014
Comments (5)
Carbon monoxide poisoning – 5 things you need to know and do
Carbon monoxide poisoning – 5 things you need to know and do

Fitting an audible carbon monoxide detector could save your life

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly and with no warning.

Gas Safe Register

Knowing about carbon monoxide poisoning is important, but to be safe you have to take action.

 

Here’s why and how.

1.Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that is produced when fossil fuels – coal, wood, oil and gas, are burnt without adequate air ventilation. CO is:

– Colourless
– Odourless
– Tasteless

Carbon Monoxide kills

2. 40 people die per year from CO poisoning. 3,000 people are admitted to hospital with the effects of CO poisoning.

You may not die but there can be lasting effects on your health.

NHS guidance on CO poisoning

3. The symptoms of CO poisoning include:

– Headaches
– Nausea
– Tiredness
– Chest and/or stomach pains

If you experience any of the above symptoms you should seek medical advice straight away.

4. Three tips which could save your life:

– Ensure gas appliances are installed, maintained and fixed by a Gas Safe registered engineers only.
– Have your gas appliances checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
– Buy and install an audible carbon monoxide detector – it could save your life

Choosing and fitting a Carbon Monoxide Alarm

5. If you are tenant in accommodation, tell your Landlord, who is responsible for ensuring appliances are safe to use and instructing a Gas Safe registered engineer to repair or maintain the gas appliances.

If you can smell gas or suspect a CO leak, contact the National Gas Emergency Number: 0800 111 999.

This telephone number is for England, Scotland and Wales. For a list of emergency numbers for other regions visit our useful contact numbers page.

For more information on CO poisoning and the danger signs to look out for visit http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Safety/Carbon-Monoxide/
Or check out the information at www.gassaferegister.co.uk

  • Andrew Baker

    I have shared this with as many people as possible , thanks for helping me raise awareness

  • Peter Willson

    National Grid, I have responsibility for a travellers’ site in Leicestershire. I’m working in conjunction with Leicestershire Fire Service.
    They have confirmed that they do not supply Carbon Monoxide detectors. However, as a goodwill gesture and as you are also working with this type of community, you may want to promote this initiative.
    Thanks PCSO 6569. Peter Willson

  • Philip Burrows

    Hi Peter, we would be happy to help support you in raising Carbon Monoxide awareness and the associated dangers to the Traveller community.We can supply some Carbon Monoxide alarms and literature for raising awareness and will get in touch.
    Phil Burrows, Stakeholder Delivery Manager, National Grid

  • Sharon griffiths

    Have shared on Facebook.
    Am doing my GCSE in Science.
    So to help me learn I am exploring companies who are linked to each topic
    So that way I don’t just benefit- but others do as well.
    Hopefully my posts will be shared

  • Sharon griffiths

    Have you linked to local community firemen
    And also local health watch and other health organisations that support wellbeing?

    Lots of people don’t have access to IT resources do you won’t reach them
    So top down campaigns linking to key organisations at key times in people’s calendars- specially linked to academic terms may enable you to get your message across more
    Especially in target areas and with target groups you want to reach

    Have more ideas if you are interested

GRAID passes toughest tests yet